Organised by: UKRI MRC
Location: Francis Crick Institute 1 Midland Road London NW1 1AT United Kingdom
Description: UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has set a target to reach a Net Zero position by 2040 and therefore MRC, as part of UKRI, has embarked on a programme to transform its operations and facilities to become environmentally sustainable and of course Net Zero.
Over the last couple of years MRC has progressed initial steps towards this target and has found good practice in many areas – particularly in Higher Education, but also in business and government departments. It is recognised that research operations are complex and subject to significant constraints, but it is also clear that the progression of science and environmental sustainability must work in parallel – it should not be a choice between the two.
To engage a wider discussion and to gain commitment by the MRC community to share the ambition, a seminar series has been developed that aims to look at all relevant areas in which environmental sustainability can be tackled. It is an opportunity to learn from others about what is being undertaken elsewhere in the community and form support networks.
The second seminar in this series looks at business continuity and health and safety.
SEMINAR 2: ACHIEVING NET ZERO IN THE CONTEXT OF BUSINESS CONTINUITY AND HEALTH & SAFETY
This seminar will look at Business Continuity and Health and Safety (H&S). During the first part of the seminar speakers will focus on building design approaches (air quality, noise levels, thermal conditions, acoustics etc.) and their resilience to climate change and further benefits for ecological value, as well as public health. The second part will look at links between environmental sustainability and H&S and the vital role of the Green chemistry for achieving our Net Zero target. A Q&A session will follow each section.
Following the seminar, participants are invited to join us for lunch and an opportunity to network.
09:00 - Arrival tea/coffee
09:30 - Welcome and Introduction (Speaker: Dr Susan Simon, Director Capital & Estate and Chief Environmental Sustainability Officer, Medical Research Council)
09:40 - Business Continuity:
- Creating a resilient built environment - benefits for sustainability and public health (Speaker: Ben Stubbs, Head of Sustainable Built Environment, University College London)
- Design approach in line with climate changes and further delivering green buildings (Speaker: Riara Woodley, Sustainability Energy and Planning Consultant, Scotch Partners LLP)
- T he role of acoustics in reducing energy consumption (Speaker: Jason Clouston, Acoustic Consultant, Scotch Partners LLP)
10:30 - Q &A Session
11:00 - Break
11:20 - Health & Safety:
- The link between safety and sustainability (Speaker: Dr Mehriban Akin, Associate Director of Environment, H&S (EHS), MSD)
- Considering sustainability when making solvent and reagent choices (Speaker: Professor Helen Sneddon, Professor of Sustainable Chemistry and Director of the Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence, University of York)
11:50 - Q&A Session
12:30 - Lunch and Networking
Link: MRC Seminar: Achieving Net Zero in the Context of Business Continuity & H&S Tickets, Mon 27 Feb 2023 at 09:00 | Eventbrite